Monday, September 10, 2012

Western Chili Mac

This recipe comes from my mom's stash in her kitchen. It was actually her idea for me to make this for dinner this evening and I'm so glad she suggested it! This recipe is really pretty healthy seeing as there are no added fats (other than those from the beef...and you can always drain off the grease for even less fat), and if you would prefer you could always use whole wheat elbow noodles!


Makes 12-15 servings.

Ingredients
1 large onion
1 lb. ground beef
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
2 cans (15 oz.) Tomato sauce
1 can (12 oz.) Tomato paste
2 cans (15 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 lb. elbow macaroni noodles

Directions
1. Chop up the onion and put it in a large skillet. Add in the raw beef. Cook on medium heat until the beef is browned.
2. In a saparate pot, bring water to boil to cook the noodles.
3. Add in the chili powder, garlic powder, tomato sauce, and tomato paste to the browned meat.
4. Cook the noodles in boiling water.
5. Turn the meat and sauce mix down to low and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Pour the cooked noodles into the sauce mix. Add the diced tomatoes and stir well. Serve warm.

Notes
~To make this healthier, use whole wheat elbow noodles instead of regular noodles.

2 comments:

  1. You keep making me hungry at night. LOL. I should read your blog during the day! Maybe I'll try this recipe tomorrow - it looks yummy! Do you have any yummy recipes with lots of veggies? THAT's what I need! :-) Thanks for all your inspirations!

    XOXO
    -Daisy Nguyen from PS BANANAS fashion blog:
    http://psbananas.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol maybe you should start reading during the day! I have one recipe with cucumbers in it...and then I have the snack post cucumbers & ranch. Both of those can be found under the side bar "select a topic: healthy eating". I haven't had a lot of opportunities to make recipes with a lot of veggies in it lately.

      You're welcome! :)

      Helen

      Delete

Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment! I LOVE reading comments! {They also help me know what you are interested in reading on my blog!}

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated. Other comments may be removed if they are inappropriate or spam. I do read all comments but can't always respond to each one because I don't get online very often.

My email can be found on my 'about me' page if you would like to contact me or you have a question.